Monday, November 18, 2013

Reindeer Charger Plate


I've been seeing lots of beautiful charger plates created using vinyl over at one of the SCAL  FB groups I belong to.  So for my "Christmas--Not A Card" Design Team project, I decided to create my own.  
The charger above is one of four charger SVG designs newly available over at my Cut and Create SHOP.  These files are sized to fit a standard 13" charger plate.  Just cut from outdoor (Oracle 651) vinyl and apply. 
Here's how I cut and applied the vinyl to the charger:
First I arranged each word of the design on the mat to conserve as much vinyl as possible.  I don't recommend breaking elements down any further...you want to keep the curve and spacing of each letter. I cut the vinyl using a higher than normal blade and pressure.  Then I weeded and cut out each word, leaving the vinyl attached to the backing paper.
Next I arranged the words on the charger, placing them where they would eventually be attached.
For the words on this charger I used painters tape as my transfer tape.  I made sure to "unstick" it by pressing it on my clothes a few times.  Place the tape over the top of your letters and lightly press down.  For the larger design, a larger square of "unstuck" clear contact paper works great.
Then I turned the taped letters over and peeled off the backing paper.  
I pressed the taped letters on the plate in position and carefully pulled off the painters tape.
Finally I carefully burnished the letters to make sure that they were stuck fast.
As I attached each word, I double checked to make sure that the spacing was similar.  I'm not so precise that I used a ruler, just eyeballed it.
Here's another look at the charger.  This can be displayed on a shelf for the season, in an easel or use a clear glass plate over it for serving holiday goodies.  Hope you liked the project!  Don't forget to check out all the great Design Team Christmas inspiration over at CREATIVE CUTTING CHALLENGE.  If you are an electronic cutter who uses SVG or similar files, I hope you'll join in the challenge....we want to see your creations and you just might become a winner!
Entered Into the Following Challenges:
CRAFT MY LIFE/ALL CRAFTS--OCTOBER/NOVEMBER
SPEEDY FOX & FRIENDS--RED CHRISTMAS
COME AND GET IT--CHRISTMAS GIFT
ALL SORTS--MAKE A GIFT
HIDING IN MY CRAFT ROOM--DIE CUTS
USE IT TUESDAY--STICK IT (Bought the chargers on clearance two Christmases ago!)

11 comments:

Tina Campbell said...

Super cute idea, I like the way it turned out

Paper Squirrel said...

Very cool. And what a fantastic tip to use the painter's tape to position the letters! That's definitely a part that could have gone horribly wrong in my craft room! :-)

Unknown said...

I really like the charger plate, I like that you used the painters tape to help position these. I usually use clear contact paper. Great Job.

Ruth G said...

This is stunning! I love the red with the gold charger! Wonderful file design, too! That font is awesome and the reindeer is fabulous!

brenda said...

Your creation really is lovely and perfect for our theme this week.

Thanks so much for joining us at Allsorts challenge.

B x

Winnie and Patty said...

This charger plate is just adorable! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Speedy Fox & Friends Blog Challenge!

Kathy Bradley said...

Your charger plate is awesome - what a grand idea! Thanks for joining us at Speedy Fox & Friends challenge.

designermc said...

What a fun project, I LOVE it. Thanks for sharing this week at HIMCR.
Nancy,DT

Craftnut said...

Thanks for joining us at allsorts this week, Tracy x

Jo Channon said...

This is a great project and such a good idea too. This will look lovely on the Christmas table. Thankyou for joining in at Allsorts this week Jo x

Melanie Rozwood said...

Thanks for showing how you adhered the letters. It turned out wonderful. Thanks for playing at HIMCR.